Monday, August 11, 2008

Genius = 1% inspiration + 99% perspiration

Thomas Alva Edison, is actually not only a great inventor. To me, he's my childhood idol cause he was so great in facing difficulties. Many people idolize movie stars, singers, etc. But when I was a child, I had been feeling very envious about Edison. I thought he was a very great man.

At childhood times, I had already known that he was a man who had strong will. As far as I know, he had never given up. He kept on trying again and again after a certain failure. He himself ever said that it was "not failure" but only "haven't found the right way".

When I started doing something and I failed (at my childhood), I kept on thinking about Edison. Sometimes, I even told my friends stories I knew about Edison. One of my favorite quotes that Edison had ever said is "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."

Indeed, no success will be achieved without perspiration (hard work). Some people probably will say that they have the easiest way to do this and that. But to me, everything takes time. Things only get easier if you work hard for it.

At former times, people had to travel very far just to send a message. Now, in modern times, we can send e-mail to pass a message. Things really get easier. But, it also takes time. You still need to turn on the computer and log in and so on.

Really, many scientists have made life easier. And their hard work and quotes are actually inspirational words for us. Also the quotes work as motivation in our lives. And quotes alone are not enough to get the fruit of success.

If we want to taste the fruit, work hard is unavoidable. Only when we have mastered the work and get the skill, perfected the skill. Then our work will be easier. Hard work and patience are two factors that needed in any success.

I also remember a quote that most educators said, "There are no stupid students, there are only lazy students."

Once again, remember the quotes that Edison had left for the world:
"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."

Photo source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miqul/531254487/ found under Creative Commons