Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Living with parents and filial piety

Certain people like travelling out far away from home. My friend told me that this kind of people is called vagabond. I don't really know the meaning. But, thinking of travelling far away from home, really reminds me of the proverb, "East or West, Home is the Best". No matter how delicious the food out there, I still miss my mom's cookings. Still the best of all.



Well, most modern people will have their view of moving out from their parents' home. People nowadays have follow a mindset of living together in two which means "husband" and "wife". They call this "the world of two". I heard this term long ago when I was a child. But the words just went by my ears just like that without leaving anything meaningful to me.

In fact, most parents (especially of the eastern countries) wish that their children will live together with them once they have got married. But most of them still can't have this wish fulfilled. This is quite a disappointment to them. They wish for a stable family happiness and harmony. When we grow old, we probably will really understand and experience what we have done to our parents.

There's a Chinese saying that sounds like this. "When parents are still alive, don't travel far. But travelling far must have special reason." Chinese people stress a lot on the value of filial piety. And that's why they have that saying. In ancient times, being filial also became the characteristics of Chinese ruler. The ruler, of that times showed filial piety toward his parents and thus the citizen of the ruled country would follow as well.

Nowadays, we rarely see filial piety in the society. But luckily there are still people who keep on propagating the teaching and the value of being filial to parents.